Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Looking for a good word from on high?


If you aren't a baseball fan you may not have seen the above picture that was taken during the Home Run Derby last night at Target Field, Minneapolis, during the All-Star Game festivities.  The picture looks unreal, like it's from some fantasy baseball movie, but no, this rainbow actually came forth during Brian Dozier's at-bats during the derby.  It made it's way onto the front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune's sports section.

Interestingly there was quite a bit of media chatter about this rainbow in the sky.  Why is that?  I suppose one explanation is that human beings are naturally superstititous - esp. baseball players, some say.  I have another hunch. I think there is a natural longing in all of us to hear a word from on high - especially a word of promise.  We long to know that the Creator of us all is blessing us and granting us favor.  It goes back to that promise to Noah when, following the Great Flood, God says:  "I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth." (Gen. 9:13)  Is the rainbow a word of gospel from on high?  I think it is something we long to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment